CHOOSING YOUR FEED.
Although ABFEED may cost more than a seaweed diet, various benefits more than justify this cost:
- Feed Conversion Ratio (FCR). On a well managed farm FCR’s of 1:1.2 to 1:1.5 can be, and are achieved.
- Increased processing yields – especially evident in the canning process; have been proven.
- Quantitative results on yield trials are now available.
- Reduced labour cost. Feeding times are significantly reduced.
- Sustained availability, especially in conditions when seaweed cannot be harvested – winter in S.A.
- Superior growth rate as compared to a seaweed diet.
- Reduced risk of imported parasites and pests from the wild.
- Abfeed is produced in a bio-secure environment, which reduces the risk of contamination to your farm.
- Contact us to arrange delivery.
TIPS ON FEEDING.
- When considering using ABFEED, ask for advice on the different products and pellet sizes.
- Always store the feed in a cool dry area. Do not allow conditions that cause condensation inside the feed bags. This will cause rapid deterioration of ABFEED.
- Feed on demand only. This prevents wastage and water quality deterioration due to feed waste in tanks. Start by feeding 0.3% of the abalone’s body weight per day. Daily feeding: If all the feed is consumed within 24 hours, increase the amount of feed the next day. If feed is left over, allow the abalone to finish the left-overs the following day.
- A general rule is: Feed lower protein level feeds in “higher” sea water temperatures and especially in recirculation systems. ABFEED ES26 is recommended for these warm water conditions. At temperatures approaching abnormal stress levels of the species being farmed, it is essential to feed lower protein feeds.
- When feeding ABFEED, 100% water replacement in tanks should take place at least every two hours. This does depend on the biomass per cubic meter of water, but this is a rough guide. Our experience is that farmers sometimes do not observe the growth advantages, because they trial the feed in a system that does not have a high enough water exchange rate.